Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Fig Galette, 'rustic' to say the least

Making this galette was quite simple, and while it won't win any awards for beauty, it came out quite tasty.

The figs were extremely ripe and very easy to prepare. For those of you who have never had a fresh fig, please do yourself a favor and try one! They are in season now, in late summer... while you may be able to find them at the grocery store (I've never been terribly impressed by the ones we have on offer here), I would strongly recommend you find a farmer's market or a specialized fruit shop that can help guide you in picking out a ripe one to try. They are indescribably good... soft and sweet and fleeting in late summer. You'll never look at a fig newton the same again ;)


Now, onto the recipe...



I had some homemade marmalade and one last disc of Fool-proof Pie Dough to use up. With the figs quartered, I rolled out the dough and moved it (with no small amount of trouble) onto the parchment paper and baking sheet. That's when things started to go down hill. I didn't pay attention to the fact that I was assembling the thing with the sheet resting on the stove top while the oven preheated. This meant that the dough warmed up as I placed the marmalade and figs so that when I went to turn up the edges... well, let's just say it won't make the cover of Bon Appetit magazine. So, make sure you work with well-chilled dough and _keep it_ chilled until it's ready to go in the oven!!!

But I got it assembled, held together with a healthy dose of marmalade and hope, sprinkled some sugar on top and popped it in the oven. The finished product was no prettier then before it went in the oven, but it was very tasty. The figs had softened further with the cooking, and the sugar had given them a bit of crunch. The pastry was flaky and buttery and the marmalade boiled down to a sort of caramelized syrup that held it all together. All in all, a very enjoyable summer dessert. I would definitely do this one again, though I think I might try it with puff pastry next time... i don't think it would qualify as a galette, technically speaking, but the puff pastry paired with the citrus and figs sounds lovely.

I just couldn't bring myself to take a picture of the end result of mine, so instead I will part with this lovely picture from Simply Recipes that shows you what it should look like ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment